If your aquarium club or society would like to invite me to come do a presentation, here is some information you may need.
I am fortunate that there are companies willing to sponsor my trips to club meetings. The donors will not send money, but they may provide product packages that we can auction or raffle at your club meeting to offset my expenses. Each sponsor will send approximately $100 (retail value) of products to the meeting:
Allen Repashy will send several packages of his Repashy Superfood formulas for fish. I will also bring enough samples of the food to pass out at the meeting, and I will also provide your members a discount code to order the food off of my website at a discount. Even if you club cannot schedule me in for a talk, I am willing to send your club samples of the food to try. Just send me a message…
Ok… I am sponsoring myself. But I will bring fish!
Club Responsibility to Sponsors
- List the sponsors prominently in any advertisement of my presentation.
- Display the sponsor’s name and/or logo in any list of club sponsors (with a link if the list is on line).
- An advertisement in your paper journal (this can be a part of a page that describes my presentation at the next meeting).
- Distribution of samples, literature or other handouts from the sponsors to your members at the meeting.
- Dispersal of the donated products at the meeting (please do not plan to hold them until a later event).
- A thank you letter from the club to the sponsors.
When we have scheduled the visit I will send your club a media pack that includes ads, logos, links, etc…
Inviting Me to Speak
Unfortunately, I cannot accept every invitation. When you contact me, please let me know the date, time and location of the meeting. If the location is not within a 4-5 hour drive of Madison, WI (zip code 53589 if you want to map the distance), please let me know the closest airport to fly into.
I ask that the following expenses be paid for by your club
- travel expense – cost of round trip plane ticket (including parking, luggage fees or any other travel-related expense) or $.50/mile round trip if I am driving (mileage based upon Google maps from zip code 53589 to zip code of meeting… so you can know the total before you invite me). I prefer to make my own travel arrangements.
- lodging expense – I am very happy to stay in the home of a club member, so long as the house is free of tobacco smoke and cats. Clean is expected… I hate to say that, but the stories I could tell… If I need to stay in a hotel, I prefer to make my own reservations.
- Other expenses… I do not expect the club to pay for my meal expenses during travel. Most clubs pay for dinner the day of the meeting, which is greatly appreciated. I do not ask for or expect an honorarium, but neither will I turn it down. I appreciate the willingness and ability of clubs that can provide an honorarium, but I also understand that many clubs cannot. No explanation needed.
Length of Stay
Whenever possible I prefer to not fly in and out in less than 36 hours. I like to visit member’s fish rooms and spend time with your club. Sometimes I have friends or family in the area who I will try to visit. I do not expect the club to bear the expense of an extended stay in the area. Whatever your club will pay for I am willing to accept so long as the expenses listed above are paid for.
Love to do ‘em! Many clubs have started hosting ‘in home events’ the night before or day after a meeting. Some clubs have booked rooms in restaurants for a group and had me give another talk there. Go for it! Get the most out of your money. I have lots of talks and am willing to give them.
Conventions, Shows, Weekend Workshops & Multi-Day Events
Every thing above applies to bigger club events. My sponsors will usually supply more product. We may also be able to arrange for cash sponsorship of awards or other promotions at larger events.
The links below will permit you to download my bio, talk descriptions and an image for use in advertising the talk: